History of our Building

PPUMC Circa 1910

Prospect Park United Methodist Church (PPUMC) began as an Methodist Episcopalian Sunday School held weekly in the kitchen of Mrs. Emily Cook. In 1902, two Methodist families realized “that there were numerous other families like their own in the neighborhood, whose children should be in a Bible School, and that a suitable community building should be provided for Sunday School purposes.”

Residents of the neighborhood went to the Congregationalist and the Presbyterian denominations, but they declined involvement at that time. The residents then went to the Methodist Church seeking sponsorship. The First Methodist Episcopal Church was instrumental in the formation of our little church. The conference elected a Board of Trustees to organize the work in the Prospect Park area. The new organization was named Prospect Park Methodist Episcopal Church. A small building was erected, but was soon outgrown and replaced in 1914 with the current building.

The next additions to the neighborhood were the Tower on the Hill and Sydney Pratt Elementary School across the street from the church; distinctive landmarks that embody the neighborhood beauty and charm still evident after almost 100 years.

PPUMC’s ministry extends beyond Sunday services, and a very important goal is making sure that the physical spaces are accessible to all. An elevator was added in late 2007, making all levels of the building accessible, and there is an accessible all-gender bathroom on the sanctuary level. Remodeling of the kitchen and sanctuary was finished in late 2008, providing a functional, accessible worship and meeting space for a wide variety of Twin Cities religious and secular groups, as well as a gathering place for neighborhood events and activities.